Where are you going?

Traveling overseas can present Export Controls concerns depending on the destinations. Before arranging any business travel, you shall consult the Embargoed and Sanctioned Countries section of this website. If you intend to travel to one of the country listed in the OFAC column, please contact the Office of Export Controls Services (OEC) immediately so an evaluation can be done. 
The University of Pittsburgh recommends that any person traveling overseas register with the Travel Registry on the Pitt website (log into my.pitt.edu, point to My Resources, click on Travel Registry then on Register Your Trip Now). The Council of the Deans has adopted a policy that requires registration of international business-travel for all University students and staffs and strongly encourages registration for faculty. In addition, the University of Pittsburgh also recommends to sign-up for the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) on the State Department website. 
Note: some countries have their own additional import and export controls regulations which may affect how you can use items while overseas, and which could restrict your ability to bring them back. You should be aware of all applicable regulations and how they could apply to you.